Friday 5 October 2018

Misty Morning Dog Walk

Last night I stayed with Chris and Pete following my lecture at Stroud Camera Club, and this morning they asked if I would like to join them for a walk with their gorgeous dog Saffy. I accompanied them in a pair of borrowed walking boots, having only gone with very impractical ‘Townie’ sandals and white plimsolls, and we set off up the hill behind their house into Standish Woods.

It was overcast and quite misty, but very mild and I was soon hot in my jacket and had to take it off and carry it. We completed a most enjoyable circular walk, through beautiful woodland and countryside, and it really set me up for the day.




Saffy forges on



Autumnal mist

I wondered if something had been eating these leaves? The lacy effect was very pretty.





Whenever I see these signs, I always imagine giant plant lumbering across the road. I made this observation to Chris and Pete, he said “something like a Triffid!”

Saffy waiting in slightly nervous anticipation of the approaching woman and her dogs.

A fallen tree with many coins hammered into it, it looked a bit like an alligator skin.





Chris, Pete and Saffy.

The National Trust rangers were thinning/felling trees in Standish Wood, and this incredible machine was making very swift work of the job, much faster than if each tree had to be cut down with a chainsaw. The machine was able to cut the tree, pull it over, remove all the small branches and cut the trunk into logs, only needing a few minutes per tree.





Spotted several woodland dens - I would have loved playing in these as a child.





An abundance of fungi.









More woodland dens.







I was very taken with this twisted and rope like plant structure, not sure what it was although Pete suggested old man’s beard. It looked to me like a woodland sculpture.

Lots of interesting objects in this fenced off area, presumably belonging to somebody. Loved the old derelict telephone box!

My hosts with their lovely dog.



Again my lack of nature knowledge means that I don’t know what causes these black spots on the leaves, but although it’s probably an insect or disease, the resulting colours and patterns were actually rather beautiful.

This made me think of the skin of a frog.

Spotted a couple of trees with lots of curious sawdust-like powder up the trunks and on the ivy leaves, it looked as if the bark was rotting.






After this walk we headed back for a cup of coffee, before I said goodbye to my hosts and headed off to look around Woodchester Mansion.

No comments:

Post a Comment